Monday, May 7, 2012

Unit 3: Mind-Body Connection

     Well I am very much into physical fitness and exercise. So I can proudly say, I rate my physical well-being at a 9. I make sure to get out for a run, just about everyday, unless something crazy happens and makes it so I am unable to run that day. I try my very best to get some sort of physical activity each and everyday. A goal I am pursuing for my physical well-being is I am hoping to be able to run a half marathon by the end of the year. To do this, I am getting my running in as much as possible and making sure I am eating healthier foods. 
     My spiritual well-being is not where I'd like it to be. I would rate it at a 5 and the reason for this is because I have a hard time getting myself and my family to church every Sunday and I also don't take time for myself to just sit, relax, and/or pray. A goal for me, spiritually, is to get at least, myself attending church service every Sunday. I will need to make sure I am prioritizing my time with my husband during the rest of the weekend, so I don't feel as bad leaving for a couple hours on Sunday. 
     I would rate my psychological well-being a 7. Most of the time, I have a ton of things on my plate, therefore, bringing a lot of stress into my life. I have a three year old and a seven year old; I sometimes feel like my "job" as a stay-at-home mom is completely stressful and, at times, worse than a regular 9-5 job, I sometimes wish I had instead. Unfortunately, I don't always handle stressors in my life in a healthy manner; I have a tendency to bottle some feelings up inside, instead of letting them out and talking about them. A goal of mine for my psychological well-being will be to make sure I take time out just for myself; even if it is just 10-15 minutes each day. I need to make sure that I set aside quiet time, so I can de-stress or think to myself. In order to do this, I should set mark a time on my calendar for each day, of when I will take my own time to sit and relax; where I can not be disturbed and I can clear my mind for a few minutes. 
     The relaxation exercise, The Crime of the Century, did not seem too beneficial for me. I found myself going in and out of actually listening to what he was saying. I thought there was just too much thinking about the many different colors and the different meanings they may have in our lives. I did not find this relaxation session to be helpful to me because in my mind, I was not interested; I was not interested in the reds, blues, yellows, etc. and what they were suppose to symbolize in my life. Overall, I would not try to do this exercise again. 


Thanks for reading!
Kristin Croake

2 comments:

  1. Kristin,
    It is great that you try and get out and run as much as you can. I try and run about 3 times per week and I find it great exercise and also a good stress reliever for me as well!! I just started running about 2 1/2 months ago, so I am working up to running longer and then eventually increasing my pace. It is great you have a goal set to run the half marathon; I might do a few 5k runs for charity, but I mostly do it for exercise and to just feel good about myself. I also find it important to get that time every week for some relaxation; the audio presentation didn't do too much for me either. I found the colors to be too distracting. I think I just need done nice quite time to relax. :). Great post and I look forward to reading more comments.
    Sara DeSanto

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think running is cool. If my knees were better I’d take it up but… naw, maybe after I lose a little weight. I need to get more serious about my physical fitness because I’m not getting any younger and good health is easy to keep but hard to get back.
    My family took a two year hiatus from church but we’ve found a church we like and that we can grow with, in Dallas there is literally a church on every comer so it took us a little time to find a fit for us.
    I go to work to escape my family, so I understand about being a stay at home mom being a full time job when you work a job you get off at 5 but mommy duty never stops. I was glad to go to work because I actually got to sleep at night.
    I had a little bit of a hard time with “The Crime of the Century” mostly because my mind was busy naming the charka’s and seeing the pictures from my book on chakra’s guess it was just where I was mentally at the time. But, I’d try it again when I was less rushed and not feeling so pre-occupied.

    Terri Bentley

    ReplyDelete